I’m re-visiting this recipe that I posted about 2 years ago. It features in most of Andhra bhojanams (feasts). I love it since I was little and still do. Here is how we make it:
- 2 cups Spinach
- 1 tbsp Ginger – minced
- 3 chilies Green – chopped
- 10 Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp Tamarind paste
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Chana dal
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 3 chilies Red
- Heat 2tsp oil in a pan; add the tempering ingredients and once the seeds start to splutter; add ginger, green chilies & curry leaves and sauté for couple of minutes.
- Then add the green veggies; cover and cook on medium-low flame for 5-8 minutes or until almost wilted.
- In the meantime, de-frost frozen suran in the microwave.
- Once the greens are ready, add the suran and ¼ cup of water; cover and cook till suran is completely cooked. I like this dish smooth instead of chunky, so I mash suran with the back of the spoon at this stage. Then add tamarind paste and salt. Cook for another 5 minutes. Serve with steamed rice for a yummy Andhra meal.