Buffet on Table: Week 2 — Indian States
Day 8: Kashmir — Kashmiri Roti with Dum Aloo, Doon Chetin & Kashmiri Yellow Rice
After seeing my marathon buddies make amazing thalis, I made a mini Kashmiri thali for today’s mega marathon. Thanks to Valli’s and Vaishali’s Kashmiri posts for the inspiration. I picked the recipes from their thalis to make mine. Here’s what I made:
Kashmiri roti is a very flavorful recipe with spices that are added right into the dough. It is kneaded with milk instead of water to make soft and delicious rotis. Served with Kashmiri Dum Aloo, these rotis tasted simply amazing.
Recipe from Spicingyourlife:
- 1½ cups Wholewheat flour
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp Fennel Seeds
- ½ ~ 1 tsps Black Pepper , crushed
- a pinch Asafoetida / Hing
- ¾ tsp Seeds Carom
- 1 cup Milk Warm
- to taste Salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and knead into a smooth, pliable dough. Cover and set aside for 10~15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6~8 equal size pieces and roll them out into thin discs.
- Cook on a hot pan/ tawa over medium-low flame until both sides have golden brown spots. Brush with ghee. Serve hot with Kashmiri dum aloo.