Final dish on my mini Kashmiri thali is this saffron or kesar rice. Saffron flavors this simple rice dish along with some more spices. I added some turmeric to give the rice a little more color. Serve with simple rice with a spicy gravy curry.
Recipe from here:
Kashmiri Saffron or Kesar Rice
Kashmiri saffron or kesar rice. Saffron flavors this simple rice dish along with some more spices. I added some turmeric to give the rice a little more color. Serve with simple rice with a spicy gravy curry.￼
Servings: 23 serving
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- ¼ tsp Saffron Kesar or
- ½ tsp Jeera Shah
- 1 Cardamom Green
- 1 Bay leaf
- ½ Cinnamon " - piece
- 2 Cloves
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 2 tbsp Cilantro mint leaves or - , finely chopped
- to taste Salt
- Rinse and soak rice for at least 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1tbsp and 2tsp ghee in a heavy bottom saucepan. Add shah jeera, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves until fragrant, about 30seconds.
- Add the soaked rice and cook for 2~3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Crush the saffron and add to the rice along with the turmeric. Mix well.
- Add 1½cups of water, salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer covered until rice is cooked through and water is completely evaporated.
- Stir in the chopped fresh herbs and stir gently. Serve with Kashmiri Dum Aloo.