This is a tasty egg curry cooked with spices in Kerala style to serve along with Appams. Everyone in my household loves eggs and I'm always looking for different egg curries and this one was like by everyone.
Recipe adapted from Nags recipe:
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Onions - chopped
- 2 Tomatoes - chopped
- 2 chilies Green - slit
- 1 tsp Chili powder Red
- ½ tsp cumin Ground
- 2 tsp Coriander Ground
- 1 tsp Ginger+garlic paste
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 8 ~ 10 Curry leaves
- to taste Salt
- Bring eggs and water (add about 1" above the surface of the eggs) to a boil in a saucepan. Turn off the heat, cover and set aside for exactly 13 minutes. Then rinse them under cool water and once cool, peel and set aside until ready to use. Make a slit in the egg but not cutting into two.
- Heat 2tbsp oil (coconut oil is preferred) in a pan; add mustard seeds and once the seeds start to splutter, add the onions, green chilies, and curry leaves; cook till onions are lightly browned around the edges.
- Add ginger+garlic paste and cook for 1 minute. Add red chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander and cook till it doesn't smell raw anymore, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till they turn mushy.
- Add one cup of water and bring to a boil. Add the boiled eggs and remove from flame after 2 minutes.