Blogging Marathon# 29: Week 3/ Day 1
Theme: Course Wise Meal from any State – Maharashtra/ Lunch Dishes
Dish: Masala Bath
Today we start 3rd week of Blogging Marathon (BM# 29) and my theme for this week is ‘Course Wise Meal from any State’. I wanted to try dishes from Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra or Uttar Pradesh. Luckily I found a newspaper cutout with Maharashtrian recipes that my MIL got for me 3 years ago.
For the first day I made Masala bath from the paper. It is a one-pot dish, that is spicy, filling and packed with vegetables. I love these kind of dishes where you put all the ingredients in one pot and don’t have to worry about side dishes, convenient for weeknight meals.
Maharashtrian Masala Bhath
- 1 cup Rice
- 2 Eggplant - small, chopped
- 1 1 Carrot " - small, peeled and chopped into pieces
- ¼ cup Green Peas
- 2 tbsp Cashews
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 10 - 12 Curry leaves
- 1 Cinnamon " stick
- 3 pods Cardamom
- 3 Cloves
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- 2 tbsps Cilantro - finely chopped for ganish
- 1 tsp Sugar
- to taste Salt
- ½ cup Coconut Grated
- 2 - 3 Chilies Dry Red
- 2 tsp Coriander seeds
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- Make Masala: Dry roast all the masala ingredients separately until fragrant. Then grind into a powder and set aside.
- To make Masala Bath: Soak rice for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat 2tbsp ghee/ oil in a pressure cooker, add cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom pods. Fry till fragrant. Next add the ground masala, turmeric, hing, cashews, curry leaves and the vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Next add rice, 2 cups of water, salt and sugar. Cook for 2-3 whistles. Serve garnished with chopped cilantro.