Blogging Marathon# 27: Week 3/ Day 3
Theme: Seasonal Dishes – Summer Entree
Dish: Mango Masala Rice
After Spring (March – May) comes Summer (June – August), the funnest of all seasons in terms of outdoor activities are considered. Great season to have some fun in the sun, picnics in the park, barbecues, visits to the lakes/ beaches etc. All in all wonderful time to enjoy with family and friends.
Summers also mean mango season. We get mangoes all through the year here in the US, thanks to the imported mangoes from Hawaii and other tropical countries. But I think the best mangoes are available only in the summer. Indian stores are stocked with juicy, sweet mangoes and we always end up with big crates of these yellow beauties even though it’s just the 2 of us who eat them in my family.
So for today’s Summer seasonal recipe, I made this tangy and slightly spicy Mango Masala Rice. Recipe courtesy from one of the Telugu cooking shows that I’m practically obsessed with these days. This dish is almost like mango pulihora with some added spices to give the kick. Do try when you get good raw mangoes.
Mango Masala Rice
- 1 cup Rice
- to taste Salt
For the Masala Paste:
- 5 chilies Dry red
- 1½ tbsps Coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Mango - medium, chopped
- ½ cup Coconut Grated (thawed if frozen)
- 2 - 3 chilies Green (skip if you don't want the rice to be too spicy)
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tsp Chana dal
- 2 tsp Urad dal
- 2 tbsp Peanuts
- 8 - 10 Curry leaves
- Cook rice like you would for pulihora making sure that the grains are separate and not mushy. Set aside.
- Dry roast dry red chilies, coriander seeds and cumin seeds until fragrant. Let cool slightly and then grind along with chopped mango, grated coconut and green chilies (if using) into a smooth paste.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a pan, add the masala paste and cook on medium flame until mango doesn't smell raw anymore, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add rice to the masala and mix well. Season with salt.
- In another small pan, heat 1tbsp oil and add mustard seeds, both the dals and peanuts. Fry until seeds and peanuts are golden and then add the curry leaves. Add this to the rice, mix well and Enjoy!!