Blogging Marathon# 27: Week 3/ Day 3
Theme: Seasonal Dishes – Summer Entree
Dish: Mango Masala Rice
After Spring (March – May) comes Summer (June – August), the funnest of all seasons in terms of outdoor activities are considered. Great season to have some fun in the sun, picnics in the park, barbecues, visits to the lakes/ beaches etc. All in all wonderful time to enjoy with family and friends.
Summers also mean mango season. We get mangoes all through the year here in the US, thanks to the imported mangoes from Hawaii and other tropical countries. But I think the best mangoes are available only in the summer. Indian stores are stocked with juicy, sweet mangoes and we always end up with big crates of these yellow beauties even though it’s just the 2 of us who eat them in my family.
So for today’s Summer seasonal recipe, I made this tangy and slightly spicy Mango Masala Rice. Recipe courtesy from one of the Telugu cooking shows that I’m practically obsessed with these days. This dish is almost like mango pulihora with some added spices to give the kick. Do try when you get good raw mangoes.
Mango Masala Rice
For the Masala Paste:
- 3~4 Dry Red chilies
- 1½ tablespoons Coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Medium Raw Green Mango, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup Grated Coconut (thawed if frozen)
- 2 Green Chilies
- 1½ cups Rice
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 3 tablespoons Peanuts
- 2 teaspoons Chana dal
- 2 teaspoons Urad dal
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Hing/ Asafoetida
- 8~10 Curry leaves
- To taste Salt
Make Masala Paste:
- Dry roast dry red chilies, coriander seeds and cumin seeds until fragrant. Let cool slightly and then grind along with chopped mango and grated coconut into a smooth paste.
- Cook rice in a pressure cooker or Instant pot. Make sure that the grains are separate and not mushy. Remove the rice into a big bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds, chana, urad dals and peanuts. Fry until seeds and peanuts are golden and then add the curry leaves.
- Stir in the ground masala paste and cook on medium flame until mango doesn't smell raw anymore, about 6-8 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add the masala to the rice. Gently mix to evenly coat the rice with the spice paste. Taste and enjoy!!