BM# 68-Cooking Carnival: Day 22
Theme of Week 5: Fruit based Desserts
Dish: Mango Strawberry Icebox Cake
Even though I am posting these desserts in the last week, I made all of the dishes (except for one) about 2 months ago. The summer fresh mangoes and strawberries were a big inspiration and I made couple of desserts with them. So today’s dessert is a great dish to make ahead and use fresh seasonal fruit.
Recipe is from the Kitchn. This is a no bake, no cook cake that just needs layering of ingredients (and of course whipping the cream) and after a few hours you will have a delicious cake that cuts beautifully and looks almost like tender cake layers. Graham crackers form the ‘cake’ base for this cake. They start of crispy and crunchy but after layering with whipped cream and fruit and refrigeration, they soften just enough to be tender and flaky.
Any fruit can be used here: strawberries, bananas, mango or other thinly sliced soft fruit like raspberries or blueberries or a blend of berries. Also instead of fruit, you could use a homemade or store-bought jam or some fruit curd. It’s a great make ahead dessert that is sure to wow your friends and family.
Recipe adapted from the Kitchn:
Mango Strawberry Icebox Cake
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 6 tbsps Sugar Confectioners
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 cups Strawberries , chopped
- 1 Mango Medium , peeled and chopped
- Pinch Salt of
- 1 ~ 2 tbsps Nuts Chopped (if desired)
Make Whipped Cream:
- Chill the bowl, beaters for at least 30minutes.
- Combine powdered sugar, vanilla and salt with the cream in the bowl and whip using a stand mixer or hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Using a spatula divide the cream into 4 parts.
Assemble Icebox Cake:
- Spread a little of the whipped cream in the bottom of a 8" baking pan. This will help to hold the first layer graham crackers in place.
- Lay graham crackers in the dish, breaking some to fit and form a full layer.
- Spread 1/4 of the whipped cream on top of the crackers. Lay 1/3 of the chopped fruits on top.
- Repeat the layers -- graham crackers+whipped cream+chopped fruit 3 more times. So a total of 4 layers of crackers, cream and fruit. If your baking dish is not deep enough for 4 layers, then don't fret make only 3 layers (I would never know) and the dessert will still be delicious 🙂
- Top the final layer with chopped nuts (if desired).
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. The cake is ready with a knife inserted into the center goes in easily and comes out with soft crumbs. Leftovers can be refrigerated and eaten within 2~3 days.