Blogging Marathon# 30: Week 4/ Day 1
Theme: Tea Kadai Menu
Dish: Masala Vada/ Paruppu Vadai
We are starting the last week of Blogging Marathon for this month and my theme for this week is ‘Tea Kadai Menu’. Valli gave us a set of typical dishes that feature in the roadside Tea shops in Tamil Nadu. For the first day I made ‘Masala Vadai/ Vada’.
I love masala vada, but don’t make it often at home because of the deep frying that is involved. BM gave me a chance to try my favorite snack and we thoroughly enjoyed these deep fried goodies.
I found a recipe for masala vada with 3 different dals in Dakshin cookbook and made it instead of the usual chana dal vada. They came out crispy and delicious. I added some ginger and garlic along with garam masala for a spiced up vada. I served them with some peanut-coconut chutney and coffee for an evening snack.
Masala Vada/ Paruppu Vadai
- ½ cup Toor dal (Red gram dal)
- ½ cup Urad dal (Black gram dal)
- ½ cup Chana dal (Bengal gram dal)
- 6 chilies Dry red
- 1 Onions - medium, finely chopped
- 2 tsps Ginger garlic + paste
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- ½ cup Cilantro - finely chopped
- to taste Salt
- Soak all the dals in water for 2-3 hours. Drain off excess water completely.
- Grind the dals with the red chilies to a coarse batter. I keep some chana dal aside and add it to the batter in the end to get crunchy vadas after frying.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Wet both your hands. Take a small lemon size batter and flatten it on the palm of your hand. Slip it very carefully into the hot oil. Fry till golden bowl and crisp.
- Drain onto paper towel and serve hot with any chutney.