My husband is a big potato fan and leave it to him, he can eat potatoes in any form for all meals. SO I’m always looking for interesting recipes with potatoes. I’m not sure why it took me this long to make this super simple curry from Dakshin by Chandra Padmanabhan.
This is basically mashed potato curry not unlike the one I make for dosas, but the addition of grated coconut at the end is new for me. I think this curry tastes good even with rotis.
Mashed Potato Poriyal (Urulaikizhangu Podimas/ Mashed Potato Curry)
- 2 Potatoes - medium, boiled and mashed
- 2 chilies Green - slit
- 1 Ginger " , finely grated
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 2 tbsps Coconut Grated , fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp Lime juice
- 3 tbsps Cilantro , finely chopped
- to taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Chana dal
- 1 red chili Dry - halved
- ½ tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- 6 ~ 8 Curry leaves
- Heat 2tsp oil and all the tempering ingredients. Once the mustard seeds start to splutter, add the green chilies, ginger and cook for a few seconds.
- Add the mashed potatoes, salt, turmeric and grated grated coconut. Mix well. Cook for 2~3 minutes for the flavors to blend. Turn off the heat.
- Mix in the lime juice. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve hot.