Blogging Marathon# 62: Week 4/ Day 2
Theme: No Tomato Gravies
Dish: Mixed Vegetable Curry in Coconut milk gravy
This recipe is from Mallika Bhadrinath’s 100 gravy recipes cookbook. Along with coconut milk, a freshly ground spice paste gives this dish creaminess and a nice spicy kick.
It is a very colorful curry with all the veggies. I added some black eyed peas to add some protein to the dish. Serve this with rice or roti for a delicious meal.
Mixed Vegetable Curry with Coconut Milk
- 2 Potatoes Medium , chopped
- 1 Carrot Medium , peeled and chopped
- ½ cup Cabbage , chopped
- ½ cup Green Beans , chopped
- ½ cup Black eyed peas , cooked (or other beans like chickpeas can also be used)
- 1 Onion Medium , chopped
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- ½ cup Coconut Milk
- To taste Salt
To make the Spice Paste:
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 2 tsps Poppy Seeds
- 3 ~ 4 chilies Dry red
- 1 ~ 2 Chilies Green
- 3 cloves Garlic
- Make the Masala/ Spice paste: Grind the ingredients under Spice paste to a smooth paste.
- Steam or microwave the veggies until tender.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the onions and cook till they turn translucent. Add the ground paste and cook till the raw smell disappears, about 2~3 minutes.
- Next add turmeric, cooked veggies, cooked beans, coconut milk and salt to taste. Add enough water and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer till the gravy thickens. Serve with rice or roti.