Moist, decadent and delicious Mocha cake that is doused with chocolate syrup and frosted with a mascarpone cheese frosting.
September, October and November happen to be birthday months in my family. So I bake quite a few birthday cakes during this time of the year. It was my husband's birthday early this week. I made this Mocha cake with Chocolate syrup and mascarpone frosting to celebrate the occasion.
I recently bought Cake Magic cookbook and this book is just amazing. First off it has beautiful photos and second it has many many mix and match ideas to make a cake. You pick a flavor for the cake, then choose a syrup to douse the cake with and then a frosting you love. I liked the fact that there are endless possibilities to make a cake and no two birthday cakes will be the same.
Vegan Mocha Cake:
Also it has recipes for special diet needs, like vegan and gluten free cakes. I made a vegan cake recipe with tofu and it turned out moist and delicious. Tofu is used in lieu of 4 eggs and ¾cup of plain yogurt. So if you want to make it non-vegan recipe, then use the eggs and yogurt.Big thanks to Caveman Coffee, our silver sponsor for #Choctoberfest. They sent their Blacklist coffee and Cocoa butter. My husband's the coffee lover in the family and he's super excited about this coffee. He ground the beans and brewed me espresso to use in the recipe.
This cake has 3 steps: making the cake, making the syrup and finally frosting. I used a chocolate syrup since we are doing #choctoberfest and dousing the hot cake with this syrup makes the cake very moist with a beautiful crumb. I used an easy mascarpone-cream frosting. The lighting was awful on the day I took the pictures. Hopefully I'll be able to make this cake again to get some better ones.
Don't forget to enter our #Choctoberfest2016 giveaway for a chance to win some amazing prizes -- you only have 1 day left, So HURRY 🙂 Also don't forget to check the other #Choctoberfest recipes posted today -- link to all of them at the end of the post.
Mocha Cake with Mascarpone Frosting
For the Cake:
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup cocoa Unsweetened powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 oz firm tofu . (crumbled and packed into ½cup)
- ½ cup Almond Milk Unsweetened (or use ½cup water)
- 1 tsp Apple cider Vinegar white vinegar or distilled
- 1 cup espresso Brewed , cooled (I finely ground some Caveman Coffee and then brewed it into espresso)
For the Chocolate Syrup:
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 tbsps cocoa Unsweetened powder
- Pinch salt of
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
For the Mascarpone Frosting:
- 1 cup cheese Mascarpone , at room temperature
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup sugar Confectioners
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
Make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease 2 8" cake pans with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment and then spray again.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all purpose flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk well.
- In a blender, combine tofu, almond milk, cooled espresso, vinegar and oil. Blend until smooth.
- Add the tofu mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until no lumps reamin.
- Divide the batter between the 2 prepared pans.
- Bake for 32~36 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and pierce them with a skewer or paring knife.
Syrup the Cake:
- While the cakes are baking make the Chocolate Syrup: Combine the sugar, water, cocoa powder and salt in a small saucepan, bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for about 5 minutes. Stir to dissolve the sugar, then stir in the vanilla and remove from the heat. Set aside to cool.
- Once the cake Pour or brush the syrup over the layers, dividing it evenly. Set the layers aside, in the pans, on a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the Frosting:
- Whisk confectioners sugar into room temperature mascarpone cheese and mix well.
- Whip the cream until stiff.
- Gently fold in the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture. Stir in vanilla extract.
Frost the Cake:
- Remove the soaked cakes gently onto a cake place that has been lined with waxed or parchment paper (to keep the cake stand or pan clean). Spread the layer with frosting on top.
- Place the second cake layer on top and frost with the remaining frosting.
- Sieve some cocoa powder on top and chill for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
Looks wonderful. Great pictures.
Hi Pavani, I loved this mascarpone cake recipe, it was very well explained and the ingredients aren't difficult to get at the grocery store. I'm pretty sure I'll cook this recipe at home with my daughter. Thanks for sharing.
The cake looks so exotic.
Wow that cake looks stunning Pavani..wish I had a slice to dig in..
Amazing. Loved all the shots. Happy new Year