This healthy, nutritious and protein rich Moong dal Sundal is perfect to make for festivals.
For the final day of this week's blogging marathon, I have an easy to make, healthy and delicious Moong dal Sundal. I love lentils in all shapes and forms. But I love them in simple dishes like this even more -- they taste so earthy and yummy.
What is Sundal?
Sundals are nothing but lentil/ legume based salads often made in South India. You can use ingredients like chickpeas, moong beans or even peanuts to make sundal.
Moong Dal Sundal | Indian Moong Bean Salad:
Today's salad recipe is from Valli's Cooking4allseason's blog. I bookmarked it right away when she posted it for the same theme couple of weeks ago. I rarely make sundals at home and this sounded just perfect -- spicy and delicious.
Spice paste to make Sundal:
This moong bean sundal/ salad has an interesting addition of spice powder/ masala made with coconut. Chana dal (split peas) and urad dal along with dry chilies and peppercorns are roasted until golden. Then ground into a paste along with coconut.
The spice paste gives the sundal a nice spicy kick and makes it extra delicious. This is a great protein packed dish to serve as an great for afternoon snack or as a side dish for an elaborate South Indian thali (like South Indian Vegetarian Thali and Vegetarian Tamil Nadu Thali).
This Moong dal Sundal is great to make during festivals to give as offering to god.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 81.
Moong Dal Sundal
For Moong dal:
- ½ cup Moong dal (mung beans), soaked for 4~6 hours
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- ½ Green Chilies, slit
- 6~8 curry leaves
- 3 tbsp Grated Coconut, fresh or frozen or dry*
- To taste salt
For the Masala:
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 2 Dry Red chilies
- ½ tsp Peppercorns
- 2 tsp Grated Coconut, fresh or frozen or dry*
- Pressure cook moong dal along with some salt until tender, about 3~4 whistles or cook them in boiling water for 15~18 minutes.
- While the dal is cooking, make the masala powder. Heat 1tsp oil in a pan and the ingredients for masala and cook till golden. Let the mixture cool for a little bit, then grind it to a powder.
- Once the beans are done, drain any remaining water and keep ready.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and urad dal. Once the seeds start to splutter, add green chilies and curry leaves. Cook for a minute before adding the cooked mung beans. Stir in grated coconut. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- If using dry grated coconut, reconstitute in 3tbsp of hot water for about 10 minutes before grinding with the other spice paste ingredients.
Never get bored of this nutritious sundal, my favourite one. Nothing can beat this protein packed sundal for evening snacks.
Pavani, I am crazy about all kinds of lentils too. Loved the masala for this moong sundal and will try it soon!
A tempting dish. I haven' t made sundals as yet, I have to try them out as they are so healthy and filling. Lovely clicks.
I have yet to try sundals , the addition of tempering and coconut must be taking them to a new level . The mung bean sundal sounds very flavourful and tempting .
Even the simple sundal looks super amazing with your clicks.
Love this dish, never added coconut for Moong dal Sundal. Will try soon.
OMG! this sundal is so tempting. Would love to dig into the salad!
This is one of our favourite sundals Pavani..very nicely done. And yes this year it was this spicy masala for all sundals..:)
This sundal is tasty and healthy. Ideal to binge as a snack.
Sharmila - The Happie Friends Potpourri Corner
Such a healthy and yummy Sundal.. Perfect for evening with tea..
Such a humble yet power packed moong daal sundal. looks delicious!
Love sundal with whole moong. I also have this sundal bookmarked from Valli's space. Love how simple it is to make.
I love Sundal and a moong dal Sundal sounds delicious!
Wow! Pavani I am drooling over the pics. Looks amazingly delicious. Can you link it to MLLA#13 happening on my place?
Lovely sundal and awesome clicks Pavani