Nepali dal is slightly different from the regular dals I make at home because of the addition of the ground masala powder. The addition of warm spices like cardamom, cloves and cinnamon adds a lot of flavor to the dal and makes it taste spicy and comforting.
Recipe adapted from Sandhya’s post:
Nepali Dal Bhat
- ½ cup Masoor Dal Red Lentils /
- 1 Onion - small, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 2 tbsps Cilantro - finely chopped
- to taste Salt
For the Masala Powder:
- 2 chilies Dry red
- ½ Cinnamon " stick
- 3 Cloves
- 2 pods Cardamom of
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1½ tsps Coriander seeds
- 5 ~ 6 Peppercorns
- Pressure cook red lentils until cooked through and mushy. Alternately red lentils can be cooked on the stove top until tender.
- While the lentils are cooking, make the masala. Grind all the ingredients listed under masala powder into a smooth powder.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a saucepan, add the chopped onions and cook until they are golden brown. Add the masala powder, mix well and cook for 1~2 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked dal, turmeric and salt. Add water if the dal looks too thick. Simmer on medium flame for 6~8 minutes.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro and serve.