Today is the day after Christmas, last day of our 3 day long weekend and I woke up really late this morning. If it was like any other weekend I would have skipped breakfast and went straight to lunch, but as I said it is the last day of our 3 day looong weekend and I wanted to make something special for breakfast.
I had this bread pudding in my mind, but I wanted to make it without the croissants and make it (very very) little healthy. I had whole grain white bread on hand and I used this recipe with nutella and strawberry jam to make the bread pudding.
Nutella & Strawberry Jam Bread Pudding
- 6 white bread Whole grain - slices (use any other bread that is thick)
- ¼ cup Nutella
- ¼ cup Strawberry Jam - (or use any of your favorite jam)
- 2 Eggs - large
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 cup Milk - (I used whole milk, but 2% would work perfect)
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Keep a 8"x8" baking pan ready.
- Spread nutella on 3 bread slices and jam on the remaining 3 slices. Place the bread with nutella on jam smeared one and press lightly. Repeat with the remaining pieces.
- Slice each sandwich into 4 triangles and arrange them in the baking pan with the pointy sides facing up.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk, vanilla and cream. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the egg custard evenly over the bread. Set aside to soak for 10 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the custard is set and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or cocoa powder for a festive finish.