Blogging Marathon# 32: Letter N
Theme: A-Z Dishes from Andhra Pradesh
Dish: Nuvvulu-Mamidikaya Pachadi (Sesame-Green Mango Chutney)
Letter N stands for veggies like Nuvvulu (sesame seeds), Nimmakaya (lemon), Nethi Beerakaya (fuzzy gourd) etc. N also stands for Neyyi or ghee which when added on hot dal and steamed rice makes it taste out of this world.
For today, I made Nuvvulu-Mamidikaya pachadi (sesame-green mango chutney). Recipe is from my dear neighbor from India. I was raking my mom’s brain for dishes that start with ‘N’ and then she gave me this recipe that my neighbor makes back home. This is a very simple, almost no-cook except for the sauteed tempering. It tastes great with rice, upma, idli, dosa or just about anything that needs a little something-something to dip.
Nuvvulu-Mamidikaya Pachadi (Sesame-Green Mango Chutney)
- 1 Mango Raw - small, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup Sesame seeds
- 2 - 3 chilies (adjust per taste) Green
- to taste Salt
- 1 tsp Urad dal (minapappu)
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- 2 chilies Dry red
- 8 - 10 Curry leaves
- Heat 1tsp oil in a small sauce pan, fry the green chilies briefly until the skins crackle, about 1-2 minutes.
- Grind sesame seeds, mango pieces, green chilies and salt to a smooth paste without adding any water.
- Remove chutney into a bowl.
- Heat 2tsp oil and add the tempering ingredients and once the seeds start to splutter, add it to the chutney and serve.