BM# 73: Week 4/ Day 3
Theme: Bookmarked Recipes
Dish: One pot Spaghetti with Tomatoes & Arugula From Sapana’s blog
For the final day of this month’s marathon, I made this One pot Spaghetti dish from Sapana’s blog. She posted it last month and I tried it right away because it looked so simple and so easy to make.Making pasta dishes in one pot is a great option. No need to boil the pasta in tons of water — so this saves water, energy and there’s only one pot to clean. Ever since I made my one pot pasta casserole, I have been looking for pasta recipes that are made in one pot.My pasta dish is cooked on the stove but finished off in the oven to melt the cheese. But Sapana’s recipe is vegan, so it’s entirely made on the stove. I personally think a sprinkle of grated parmesan wouldn’t be out of place in this dish, but leave it out for a 100% vegan dish.In this recipe, spaghetti is cooked in a mixture of crushed tomatoes and water until tender (al dente), this infuses the pasta with lot of flavor. Baby arugula is added at the very end for a nice peppery touch and capers add a salty, briny taste. I think I’ll add chickpeas or baked tofu to add some protein to the dish. All in all this is a yummy pasta dish perfect to make on a weeknight.
One pot Spaghetti with Tomatoes & Arugula
- 4 oz. Spaghetti, broken in half
- 1 14.5oz. Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 4 cups Baby Arugula or Baby Spinach
- 1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic, finely minced
- 2½ cups water
- 2 tbsp Capers, rinsed and drained
- ¼ tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- To Tatse Salt Pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Basil leaves, chopped
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan, add the onions, garlic and red chili flakes. Cook till the onions turn translucent, about 3~4 minutes.
- Next add the crushed tomatoes, basil, water, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and add the broken spaghetti.
- Lower the heat, cover the pan and cook till all of the water has evaporated and the pasta is tender, about 15~20 minutes.
- Stir in the baby greens and capers. Stir well, cover and remove from heat.
- Serve warm with grated vegan cheese.