VeganMofo Day 28: We are bracing ourselves for the super storm, Sandy. Hopefully we will have our electricity and internet connections intact. Last year we had the untimely snow storm around the same time and Halloween parades were cancelled as a result. My 5 year old has his costume picked out and he’s been talking about Halloween since the beginning of October. So we are keeping our fingers crossed that the storm is not as bad as the weather department is predicting.
Last night, after listening to the storm warnings, I wanted to prepare something for the morning breakfast, so I can get to work on clearing the backyard as early as possible. Steel cut oats are whole grain groats that are cut into smaller pieces, so they take longer to cook than regular oats. I love the no-cook overnight oats that I usually make, but steel cut oats need to be cooked for a little bit in the morning to get them to slightly less chewy texture. If you prefer chewy oats, then they can be enjoyed as is in the morning.
Overnight Steel Cut Oats
- 1 Oats part Steel Cut
- 1 Soy milk part
- 1.5 Water parts
- to taste Brown Sugar Maple Syrup / (or sweetener of choice)
- to taste Cinnamon
- Raisins Almonds berries berries Nuts Topping Ideas - , , fresh , dried , of choice
- Combine all the ingredients except for the toppings in a non-reactive container. Mix well and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 5-8 minutes or until the oats have your desired texture.
- Serve with toppings of your choice.