For the last day of our week long blogging marathon, Valli paired us with a fellow marathoner and we have to choose a dish that fits our theme from their blog. I got paired with Jayashree @ Luvgoodfood and I found this healthy & delicious Methi theplas that are just perfect as picnic food. They are filling, nutritious and easy to pack AND eat.
I didn’t have enough methi in my container garden, but I had a bunch of spinach that was waiting to be used up, so I made palak/ spinach theplas instead. I changed the recipe a little bit because I was short of time and increased the ingredients. These were an instant hit at home and most of them were eaten before I took my pictures. I had one and half theplas left that I had to use for the pictures.
- 2 cups Wheat flour
- ¾ cup Besan (Chickpea flour) – (I used kala chana besan)
- 3 cups Spinach – finely chopped
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 tsp chili powder Red
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- to taste Salt
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Add warm water if needed to make a smooth and pliable dough. Cover with damp kitchen towel and let it rest for at least 30 – 45 minutes.
- Divide the dough into lemon size balls and roll them into slightly thick rotis.
- Cook on preheated griddle until brown spots are formed on both sides. Smear some oil or ghee if desired. Serve hot with yogurt or pickle of choice.