Pan searing brussels sprouts until toasty is a quick alternative to roasting them in the oven. Topping with crispy panko breadcrumbs and almonds nicely balance both the taste and texture of the dish.
Garlic flavored olive oil is used to cook the sprouts and toast the bread crumbs. Luckily I had Colavita roasted garlic flavored extra olive oil and it made the dish taste absolutely delicious.
Recipe is from Vegetarian Times magazine.
Pan Seared Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Almonds
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Almonds Slivered , dry roasted
- 2 tbsps Garlic flavored oil
- 1 tsp Lemon zest
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- To taste Salt Pepper &
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and toast for 3~5 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure to stir often. Transfer to bowl, stir in almonds and lemon zest.
- Wipe out the skillet and add the remaining 1tbsp oil and heat over medium heat. Add brussels sprouts cut side down, cover and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook for 10~12 minutes, or until the brussels sprouts are light brown on cut side.
- Uncover, increase the heat to medium-high heat and cook for 3 minutes or until brussels sprouts are dark brown and beginning to smell toasty.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice and season with salt & pepper and transfer to serving bowl. Top with breadcrumbs and serve immediately.