Paneer fried rice is a protein packed dish that is perfect to pack for lunch.
We (blogging marathoners) are starting a new week of mega marathon today. I’m going to post some easy and interesting Lunch box recipes this week. I’m going to start off with this quick Paneer fried rice that is both filling and delicious.I work from home, so I don’t have to really pack a lunchbox. When my husband is in town, I have pack him lunch and I usually pack dinner leftovers for him. But I thought I should explore some lunch box dishes this week, so that I have a few in my repertoire to whip up something quick for the lunchbox, when needed.First up is this quick paneer fried rice. I used leftover brown rice and crumbled fresh paneer to make this dish under 20 minutes. This is like a vegetarian version of Chinese fried rice without the egg. I used finely chopped cabbage and grated carrot, to expedite the cooking process. You can add whatever veggies you have on hand, this is a great dish to use up all those last few veggies in the crisper.I went the Chinese route and flavored the rice with soy sauce and chili-garlic sauce. But you can customize it to your preference and use Indian spices like ground cumin and garam masala instead. All in all this is colorful, delicious rice dish tastes great served hot, warm or at room temperature.
Here are a couple of Paneer based rice dishes on my blog:
Paneer Fried Rice
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1" Ginger piece, finely grated
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- 4 Scallions, chopped
- 1 cup Cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 Large Carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 Small Green Pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup Frozen Peas, thawed
- 1 cup Paneer, crumbled
- 3 cups Cooked Brown Rice, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1~2 tsp Chili garlic sauce
- To taste Salt and Pepper
- Heat oil in a large pan on medium-high heat; add ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add the scallions, cabbage, carrot and green pepper. Stir fry until the veggies are tender but still crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add green peas and crumbled paneer, cook for 2~3 minutes.
- Next add the rice, soy sauce, chili-garlic sauce and mix gently until everything is evenly combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.