This post has been in my drafts for exactly 9 months. It’s waiting to see the light of day (or the light of your monitor) for way too long. It didn’t fit any of the BM themes till now. I saw the recipe being made on one of the Telugu cooking show.
As the name suggests this is a sweet pulao made with pineapple chunks and basmati rice. Addition of whole garam masala is the interesting part of the dish. All in all it is a simple dish packed with flavors. Give it a try if you are looking for a different dish.
Pineapple Sweet Pulao
- 1 cup Pineapple (I used canned diced pineapple, drained)
- ½ cup Sugar (adjust as per taste. Can add up to 1cup)
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3 Cloves
- 3 pods Cardamom Green
- 3 tbsps Almonds - blanched, peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp Raisins
- Cook basmati rice making sure that each grain is separate. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat a large saute pan, add the pineapple pieces and cook for 2~3 minutes. Add sugar and cook until sugar starts to melt.
- Now add the chopped almonds, raisins and the whole garam masala (cloves, cardamom and bay leaf). Cook this mixture for another 2~3 minutes.
- Add the cooked basmati rice, cover and cook for 4~5 minutes. This dish can be served hot, at room temperature or even chilled.