Blogging Marathon# 27: Week 1/ Day 7
Theme: Occasions/ Goodies to Blog buddies
Dish: Pistachio Sandwich Cookies
When blog buddies meet there is going to be food to eat, food to talk about and food to take home. So after our lunch at I wrote about here, I sent my buddies home with some of my homemade goodies. These pistachio sandwich cookies were one among them.
I love slice and bake icebox cookie recipes. What that means is the dough is made into a log and chilled in the ice box for 4 hours (or up to 3 days, it can even to frozen) and then sliced and baked. I don’t like rolling the dough and cutting the cookie using cookie cutters. It seems to too time consuming and messy. I actually have a whole box of cookie cutters that I have never used until now. Maybe when my daughter grows a little older, I can learn with her 🙂
This recipe is from Everyday Food magazine. Recipe looked simple to make and the pictures were too tempting not to try.
My cookies turned out on the ‘oval’ side because when the logs I made had a flat side. So to avoid that, make sure that the logs are round, so you get rounder, circular cookies.
Make note that the butter should be very soft and at room temperature.
Pistachio Sandwich Cookies
- 2 1/3 cups All purpose flour
- ¾ cup Sugar Confectioners
- 2 Unsalted Butter sticks (1cup), at room temperature
- ½ tsp Salt Fine
- 1 cup Pistachios - coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup Strawberry Jam
- In a food processor, process butter, confectioners sugar and salt until smooth. Add flour and pulse until dough forms. Stir in pistachios.
- Shape the dough into 8" long logs, tightly wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 3hours. Logs can be frozen for up to 1 month.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut dough into ¼ inch slices and transfer to parchment lined baking sheets. Bake until cookies are set and barely golden at edges, about to 10-15 minutes, rotating sheets half way through. Let cool completely on wire racks.
- Once the cookies are completely cooled, spread ½tsp strawberry jam on bottoms of half the cookies, then sandwich with the remaining cookies.
- Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.