Blogging Marathon# 57: Week 4/ Day 2
Theme: Kid’s Delight — Cooking with Whole grains
Dish: Pizza Popcorn
Sending this over to Kalyani’s Kid’s Delight — Cooking with Whole Grains (an event started by Valli). Popcorn is a whole grain food that is very low in calories and a good source of fiber. But those buttered or artificially flavored popcorn is not the way to go. It is best to pop your own corn and then flavor it as needed.
Recipe from Food Network:
- ½ cup Popcorn kernels
- 6 oz Tomato Paste - . can
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp Oregano Dried
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Red pepper flakes - (more or less as per taste)
- to taste Salt
- Make the Pizza flavored Mix: Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the tomato paste into a thin layer using a spatula as evenly and as thin as possible. Bake for 2 hours or until there are no shiny spots on the tomato -- texture of the tomatoes will be like fruit leather at this stage.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely. Break off the tomato into a spice blender and blend to a powder.
- Add parmesan cheese, dried oregano, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and salt. Grind again to form a smooth powder.
- Make Popcorn: In a large saucepan, heat ½tbsp oil and couple of corn kernels. Cover and once the corn in the pan starts to pop, add the remaining corn, cover and let all of the corn pop. Turn off the heat once the popping subsides, remove the popcorn into a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1tbsp melted butter and 2 heaping tablespoons of pizza spice, toss to coat. Serve immediately.