Pongal and tomato perugu pachadi (raita) is one of my favorite combos. My mom used to make them for weekend breakfast or for a quick dinner. Now I make them for my son and he seems to like them.
Pongal & Tomato Raita
- 1 cup Rice (I use sona masoori rice)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- to taste Salt pepper &
- 1 Ginger " - grated
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
For Tomato Raita:
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 tomato Medium , finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 red chili Dry
- To taste Salt
To make Pongal:
- Cook rice & dal with 4 cups of water (or 2cups water & 2 cups milk) and turmeric
- Heat 2tsp ghee in a saucepan, add the tadka ingredients and once the seeds splutter add the cooked rice & dal mixture. Mix well; season with salt & pepper. If the mixture is too dry, add water and simmer for 5 minutes. Cover and rest for couple of minutes.
To make tomato raita:
- Heat 1tsp oil in a small saucepan, add mustard and cumin seeds and red chili; once the seeds splutter add chopped tomato. Cover and cook until tomatoes turn mushy.
- Season with salt. Remove from heat and let cool for couple of minnutes. Add yogurt, mix well and enjoy with the pongal.