For the second day under “Traditional Dishes” theme, my mom made these crunchy and delicious Potato Muruku. I already posted 2 muruku recipes, one with dalia and the other traditional recipe with rice and urad dal. Adding potato gives the muruku nice crunch and you can definitely taste the potato.
Mashed potato to Rice flour ratio should be 1:3. Make sure that the dough is not too thick or loose.
Potato (Alu) Muruku
- 2 Potatoes - medium, boiled, peeled and mashed thoroughly (1 cup)
- 3 cups Rice Flour
- 3 tbsp Sesame seeds
- 2 tsps chili powder Red (or more to taste)
- to taste Salt
- Combine all the above ingredients, add water if needed to form a stiff dough.
- Heat enough oil for deep frying; using a muruku press, squeeze the dough into hot oil and fry on medium flame under golden brown on both sides. Remove using a slotted spatula onto paper towel.
- Once cool, store in a airtight container. When stored properly these will stay fresh for 4-5 days.