Blogging Marathon# 66: Week 3/ Day 2
Theme: Kid’s Delight — Lunch Box Recipes
Dish: Potato Rice with Spice powder
This rice has crispy fried potatoes mixed with a homemade spice powder. The use of lentils (dals) in the powder adds some protein to the dish. Serve it with some yogurt for a filling meal.
If you have the spice powder ready the dish takes less than 30 minutes to finish. Dice the potatoes real small, so they can cook fast and make sure to use a nonstick pan to avoid sticking to the pan. Both my kids loved this dish and I’m sure they’ll be seeing this quite often in their lunchbox.
- 2 cups Rice Cooked (I use Sonamasoori rice)
- 2 Potatoes Medium , peeled and finely chopped
- To taste Salt
For the Spice powder:
- 1 tbsp Chana dal
- 1 tbsp Urad dal
- 1 tbsp Cashews (add peanuts or almonds or both)
- 2 ~ 3 chilies Dry red
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp Peanuts (skip if allergic)
- 1 tsp Chana dal
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 8 ~ 10 Curry leaves
- Make the Spice powder: Heat 2tsp ghee in a saucepan. Add the ingredients for spice powder and saute until they are lightly golden and aromatic, about 2~3 minutes. Set aside to cool. Once completely cooled, grind to a coarse powder and set aside.
- Cook rice making sure that it doesn't get mushy. Set aside to cool.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat 2tbsp oil and add the tempering ingredients. Once the seeds start to splutter and peanuts are golden, add the chopped potatoes. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 8~10 minutes.
- Next add the spice powder, salt and the cooked rice. Mix well, cover and cook for 2~3 minutes. Finally stir in lemon juice, mix well and serve.