We went apple picking last month and ended up with 4 little pie pumpkins from the patch. I kept them for display till Halloween, then roasted a couple and made pumpkin puree out of them. With that puree I made these Pumpkin dinner rolls. Recipe is from King Arthur Flour site.
They are great to serve for Thanksgiving dinner. They are soft and delicious with a spicy pumpkin flavor. I ate a couple hot right out of the oven. My son ate them with Nutella. Stored well wrapped, they keep well for about 3~4 days at room temperature. For longer storage, freeze them well wrapped.
Recipe from King Arthur Flour Site:
Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
- 4 cups All purpose flour (I used 2cups wholewheat flour and 2cups all purpose flour)
- 2½ tsps Yeast Instant
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Milk Lukewarm
- 4 tbsps Unsalted Butter , softened
- 2 tsps Salt
- 2 tsps Pumpkin pie Spice (homemade or storebought)
- 2 Eggs Large (I used 2tbsp egg replacer whisked with 6tbsp water)
- ¾ cup Pumpkin Puree
- Combine all the ingredients for the dough in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix and knead to make a soft and smooth dough.
- Transfer the dough to a greased bowl and allow to rise for 60~75minutes, until it's puffy though not necessarily doubled in bulk.
- Gently deflate the dough and transfer to a lightly greased work surface. Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces. Form and roll each piece into a smooth ball.
- Lightly grease 2 9" round cake pans or square baking pans. Space 12 rolls in each pan. Alternately place all the 24 rolls in a 9"x13" baking pan.
- Cover the pans and set aside to rise until they're very puffy and crowded against each other; about 1~2hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Uncover the rolls and bake them for 20 minutes. Lightly tent with an aluminum foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes or so, or until the edges of the center bun spring back when touched lightly.
- Remove the buns from the oven and brush with melted butter, if desired. Turn them over on to a wire rack after couple of minutes. Serve warm. Store completely cooled rolls, wrapped well at room temperature for 3~4 days. For longer storage, wrap and well and freeze.
- Butterflake Rolls from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Cardamom Fig Braid from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Challah Bread from la cocina de Aisha
- Cheesy Garlic Pull-Apart Buns from Food Lust People Love
- Chicken in a Blanket from Sneha's Recipe
- Classic Dinner Rolls from A Baker's House
- Cloverleaf Rolls from En La Cocina de Caro
- Cranberry & Orange Spice Bread from Baking in Pyjamas
- Eggless Coconut Pineapple Quick Bread from Seduce Your Tastebuds
- Edible Bread Basket from Passion Kneaded
- Mallorcan Ensaimadas from Ruchik Randhap
- Meyer Lemon & Cranberry Einkorn Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Pear Pie Cinnamon Rolls from From Gate to Plate
- Poppy Seed Coiled Challah from Bakingyummies
- Poppyseed Roll from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Povitica from Spiceroots
- Pumpkin Dinner Rolls from Cook's Hideout
- Pumpkin Yeast Bread from Hostess At Heart
- Rose-shaped Buns from Sara's Tasty Buds
- Savory Cheddar Honey Butter Rolls from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Simple High Fibre Baguettes from What Smells So Good?
- Smoked Cheddar Caramelized Onion Dinner Rolls from Noshing With The Nolands
- Sweet Dumpling Squash Drop Biscuits from Magnolia Days
- Thanksgiving Wreath Braided Bread Centerpiece from Pastry Chef Online
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.