Pumpkin Galette is a rustic, easy to make dessert that is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
I am continuing with my pumpkin themed week for Bake-a-thon with this easy to make Pumpkin Galette today. I made this for our Thanksgiving dinner and it was liked by both kids and adults alike. Pumpkin pie spice flavor makes this dessert extra special.I am not a big fan of pies because of the crust. The crust is too buttery and thick for my liking. Also for some reason whenever I bake a pie, the crust ends up puffy (even when I blind bake it with beans etc.). So this pumpkin galette seemed like a perfect alternate. Recipe is from the Kitchn site.
This rustic and easy to make pumpkin galette is a great take on traditional pumpkin pie. The dough for the crust is very very easy to work with. It bakes beautifully into a buttery golden colored galette. Filling could not be any simpler — cream cheese adds a little tang, while maple syrup gives the warmth and depth of flavor.
I made a savory galette recently with caramelized onion. So feel free to play with the fillings — sweet or savory — a galette is easier than pie. Also depending on the filling used, this could be a appetizer, a main dish or a dessert.
This is part of the Bake-a-thon 2017.
[inlinkz_linkup id=740397 mode=1]
For the Dough:
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup Finely ground Cornmeal
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup (8tbsp) Unsalted Butter, chilled and cubed
- ¼ cup Ice Water
For the Pumpkin Filling:
- 1 cup Pumpkin puree
- 1 Large Egg (or use 1tbsp egg replacer whisked in 3tbsp water)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 tbsp Cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1¼ tsp Pumpkin Spice mix
- As needed Demerera Sugar or sparkling sugar (for sprinkling)
For the Whipped Cream (optional):
- ¾ cup Cold Whipping Cream
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
Make the Galette Dough:
- Pulse the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and pumpkin pie spice in a food processor until combined.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Drizzle in 2tbsp ice water and pulse until the dough is crumbly but holds together. Add more water, if needed, until the mixture holds together when squeezed.
- Remove the dough onto a plastic wrap and gather into a ball. Flatten into a disc and wrap with the plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Make the Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Combine pumpkin puree, egg, maple syrup, 3tbsp of the melted butter, cream cheese, vanilla, salt and pumpkin spice mix in a mixing bowl. Beat well until smooth, 2~3 minutes. Set aside.
- Unwrap the dough on a parchment. Cover with another parchment and roll into a 12" round that is 1/8" thick.
- Slide the dough along with the parchment onto the baking sheet. Remove the top parchment.
- Spoon the pumpkin filling onto the center of the dough, leaving a 2" border around the edge. Fold the rim of the dough up and over the filling, overlapping the dough and pleat it as you go.
- Brush the crust with 1tbsp melted butter and sprinkle generously with coarse sugar, if desired.
- Bake the galette until the crust is golden brown, about 30~35 minutes. Transfer the galette onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whip the cream along with maple syrup and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
- Cut the galette into wedges and serve with a dollop of whipped cream on top. Dust with ground cinnamon.