BM# 63: Journey through the Cuisines
Week 3: Gujarati Cuisine
Day 17: Q for Quick Pan Handvo
Handvo is a popular Gujarati snack. It is a baked spicy lentil cake made with a fermented batter of rice, lentils and spices. It is crispy on the outside and soft inside. It has been on my to-make list for quite a long time. I was hoping to try the traditional version for this mega marathon, but Oondhiyu dictated the letter selection, so Handvo has to wait for now.
But I’m happy that I was able to try this quick version of handvo. It has the same texture as the traditional version, crispy on the outside and soft inside. Recipe is from Bhavna’s kitchen. Instead of using rice and lentils, this instant version uses sooji and besan. It is not as healthy as the original, but is sure very delicious.
Handvo is usually served as a snack, but I found it to be too filling for a snack. I think it can be served as a light meal, but it’s up to personal choice.
Recipe from Bhavna’s Kitchen:
Quick Pan Handvo
- 1 cup Sooji (Semolina)
- ¼ cup Besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 ~ 1½ cups Yogurt
- 2 ~ 3 Chilies Green , finely chopped
- 1 Ginger " piece, finely grated
- 1 cup Veggies of choice (I used shredded cabbage and carrot, but traditionally bottle gourd or lauki is used)
- ½ tsp Cumin Ground
- ½ tsp Coriander Ground
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- To taste Salt
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- In a mixing bowl, combine sooji, besan, ground cumin & coriander, ginger, green chilies, 3tbsp oil, shredded vegetables and salt. Mix well and add water slowly to make a thick pour-able batter. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- When ready to make the handvo, stir in the baking soda into the batter and mix well.
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a cast iron or other heavy base pan on medium heat. Add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds and curry leaves. Once the seeds start to splutter
- Mix well and pour the prepared batter into the hot pan.
- Cover and cook on low flame until the bottom is crispy and golden brown. Carefully flip over and cook till the other side is crispy and golden.
- Serve hot with green chutney.