Blogging Marathon# 33: Week 2/ Day 3
Theme: Favorite Celebrity Chef Recipes
Dish: Tarla Dalal’s Quick Tawa Rice
One of my favorite Indian Chef is Tarla Dalal. I still remember watching her show on Sony TV from 12~15 years back and noting down the recipes. I used to bug my mom to buy the ingredients from super market to try the recipes. I love the way she makes all the dishes so simple and easy to make.
So for Day 3 of BM# 33, I made this quick Tawa rice by Tarla Dalal. I used to print out recipes from Tarla Dalal.com some 6~8 years back. I neatly them put in a binder and kept it safely in the basement. While looking for recipes for this week, I looked through the binder, but couldn’t find anything to make with the ingredients I had on hand. A quick Google search landed me on this recipe and Tarla Dalal’s Youtube video. I made it right away for lunch and really liked it. This dish is going to be on our meal rotation going forward.
The dry red chili – garlic paste gives this dish so much flavor and it smells heavenly while cooking and even after cooking. My addition to this dish is a spoonful of pav bhaji masala, other than that I kept it close to the original.
Quick Tawa Rice
- 2 cups Basmati Rice - cooked
- 1 Onion - medium, thinly sliced
- 2 Peppers Green - medium, thinly sliced
- 3 Tomato - medium, chopped
- 4 Chilies Dry Red
- 4 cloves Garlic
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Chili powder Red (optional, for extra spiciness)
- ½ tsp Pav Masala bhaji (optional, for some kick)
- to taste Salt
- Make sure that the rice is not mushy and the grains are separate.
- In a mortar and pestle, crush the dry red chilies and garlic cloves into a coarse paste. Add few tbsp water to help along.
- Heat 2tbsp oil on a tawa or saute pan; add onions and cook until onions turn translucent, about 4~5 minutes. Add the red chili-garlic paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Next add chopped peppers and cook until they are crisp tender. Add tomatoes and cook until tender.
- Add turmeric, red chili powder (if using), pav bhaji masala and salt. Add the rice and mix well. Cook for 2~3minutes. Serve hot.