Blogging Marathon #25: Week 1/ Day 3
Theme: Baking with Whole Grains
Dish: Quinoa Chocolate Cake
Chocolate is one of our household favorite ingredient. So when I plan to bake something sweet, I usually look for recipes with cocoa or chocolate chips. For the “Baking with Whole Grains” theme, I hit a jackpot when I searched for Quinoa Chocolate cake. I was hoping to find a recipe which used cooked quinoa, but what I found was this amazing gluten free chocolate cake that used only cooked quinoa and no flour at all.
I was a little skeptical trying this recipe since I’ve never baked any gluten free cakes and I wasn’t sure how the texture would turn out to be. There are quite a few bloggers who have tried this cake and shared their delicious cakes, so after reading their testimonials I decided to give the recipe a try. I’m so glad that I tried it because this cake has to be one of the moistest and decadent chocolate cake EVER, I think it was even better than a cake with flour.
Recipe adapted from here:
Quinoa Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups Quinoa - cooked
- 1/3 cup Milk (more to blend cooked quinoa)
- 4 Eggs - at room temperature
- ¾ cups Butter (1½ sticks)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract Pure
- 1½ cups Sugar
- 1 cup Cocoa Unsweetened Powder
- 1½ tsps Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt cake pan or 2 8" round cake pans.
- Quinoa should be cooked a little soft so it is easy to blend into a smooth paste. Grind the cooked quinoa into a smooth paste using an immersion blender. Add milk as needed to get to a smooth consistency.
- Combine milk, eggs and vanilla in a food processor. Pulse until well combined. Next add melted butter and quinoa paste and pulse until smooth and mixed through.
- In a medium bowl, whisk sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the contents of the food processor to the dry ingredients and gently mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 50-60 minutes if using the bundt cake pan and 40-45 minutes if using the smaller cake pans.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it onto the wire rack to cool completely.