After seeing a huge number of Indianized recipes made with Quinoa by the talented chefs at A2Zvegetariancuisine. I thought of making this nimmakaya pulihora or lemon quinoa. I’m extremely happy to say that the end result was awesome. I enjoyed it thoroughly for lunch, it’s a very filling and yummy dish.
Pic updated March 2013.
Quinoa Pulihora (Lemon Quinoa)
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 tbsps peanuts Roasted
- 1 tsp Chana dal
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 6 - 8 Curry leaves
- 2 Chilies Dry Red
- 2 chilies Green – slit vertically
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 2 tbsps Lemon Lime juice / – or more to tastes
- to taste Salt
- Cook quinoa according to package directions; 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water. Add turmeric, 1tsp oil & salt to cooked quinoa, gently toss and set aside to cool.
- In a small saucepan, heat 2tsp oil and add the tempering ingredients: chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds, red chilies, hing and curry leaves. Once the seeds start to splutter add the roasted peanuts and green chilies, sauté for a minute and add this to cooked quinoa.
- Squeeze the lemon juice and gently mix to combine all the ingredients, make sure not to make quinoa mushy. Enjoy with a dollop of yogurt.