Blogging Marathon# 59: Week 2/ Day 3
Theme: Instant Breakfast
Dish: Ragi Semya Upma
I don’t even remember when I picked up a packet of Anil ragi semya. I found it safely stored in the pantry. After reading the instructions on how to prepare the semya, I almost gave up for today’s theme. Regular semya just needs to be boiled until tender, but ragi noodles are first soaked in plenty of water and then steamed until tender.
The good thing is while the semya is steaming, you can start making the upma and once the noodles are ready, they go straight into the skillet for a quick saute.
Ragi Semya Upma
- 2 cups Ragi Semya
- 1 Onion Medium , thinly sliced
- 2 Chilies Green , slit
- ½ cup Green Peas
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Urad dal
- ½ Ginger " piece , finely grated
- To taste Salt
- Soak ragi semya in water (regular tap water) for 3minutes. In the meantime get a steamer ready. Drain the semya and place it on steam for 5minutes. Once the semya is tender, fluff it and keep ready.
- While the semya is steaming, make the upma. Heat 2tsp oil in a pan, add urad dal, mustard seeds and dry red chili. Once the seeds start to splutter, add grated ginger, onion and green chilies; cook till onions are translucent. Add the green peas and cook for a minute. Season with salt.
- Finally add the steamed ragi semya, mix well, cover and cook for 2~3 minutes. Serve hot!!