I had to make them tad bit healthy with the addition of wholewheat pastry flour. You can use 50:50 All purpose:Wholewheat flours. The pancakes are dipped in sugar syrup and then served as is or with rabri for a little more indulgence.
- 1 cup Wholewheat pastry flour (or All purpose flour)
- ¼ cup Mawa (storebought or homemade)
- tsp Baking powder ⅛
- 2 tsps Sugar
- ¾ cup milk Warm
- ¼ tsp Cardamom Ground
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds Crushed
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Water
- Big Pinch Saffron , crushed
- Make Malpua Batter: In a mixing bowl, combine flour, mawa, baking powder, ground cardamom and crushed fennel seeds. Stir in condensed milk and warm milk. Mix until no lumps remain and the batter is a consistency of pancake batter. Cover and set aside for 20~30 minutes.
- In the meantime make the Sugar syrup: Bring sugar and water to a boil and simmer for 3~4 minutes. Add the crushed saffron, mix well; cover and keep warm.
- Make Malpuas: Heat 2tbsp ghee in a nonstick skillet, add a ladleful of batter and cook on medium flame until golden, about 1~2 minutes. Flip and cook for another minute until golden.
- Place the malpua into the sugar syrup, let soak for 1~2 minutes. Remove on to serving plate.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve warm as is or with rabdi.