Ram Ladoo is a popular street food made with fluffy lentil fritters that are topped with green and sweet chutnies.
For the final day of this month’s blogging marathon under ‘All that’s round – is Laddoo?’ theme, I have a savory ladoo recipe. I didn’t read Valli’s note about the theme and I was under the impression that they all had to be sweet preparations. But then I saw my fellow bloggers making savory ladoo and the first thing that came to my mind are these Ram Ladoo.I saw the recipe for Ram Ladoo for the first time on Sapana’s blog. I pinned it right away and had been planning to make them for a very long time. Finally I got to make them for this theme and I wasn’t disappointed at all. I love any and all chaat dishes and this was no different.Ram ladoo are made with lentils, a combination of moong and chana dal. Soaked dals are ground until smooth, mixed with spices and deep fried until golden. The fritters are quite addictive. They are airy and fluffy on the inside; crispy on the outside. These are perfect to eat just as is.But the fritters are made even more delicious by topping with green and sweet-tamarind chutney. Another interesting element in this dish is grated radish — adds crunch and freshness to the dish. A final sprinkle of chaat powder everything together.
To make Ram Ladoo:
- 1 cup moong dal
- ¼ cup chana dal
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1" Ginger piece, finely grated
- 1 tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped
- ½~1 tsp Red Chili powder (adjust as per taste preference)
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida (hing)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- To taste salt
- For Frying Oil
For the Toppings:
- As needed Green Chutney
- As needed tamarind chutney
- 4 Small Radish, grated
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- Soak moong dal and chana dal for 3~4 hours. Drain the water and grind dal into a fine paste --add very very little water.
- Take the paste into a mixing bowl, add ground cumin powder, ginger, cilantro, red chili powder, asafoetida and salt. Whisk well to mix all the ingredients and also to aerate the mixture a little bit. This step will help in making fluffy ladoo.
- Heat oil for deep frying on medium flame.
- Just before frying the ladoo, add baking soda and mix well to combine.
- Put about 1 tablespoon of batter in the hot oil and fry until golden on all sides. Remove onto paper towel lined plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
Assemble Ram Ladoo:
- Once all the ladoo are fried, divide them between 4 serving bowls. Top with green chutney, tamarind chutney, grated radish and chaat masala. Serve right away and ENJOY!!