BM# 63: Journey through the Cuisines
Week 3: Gujarati Cuisine
Day 18: R for Rasawala Chana with Rotlis
The only time taking part of this dish is the soaking and boiling the chana. The actual cooking time takes about 15 minutes. Served with rotis or even rice, this is a delicious and comforting dish. I made rotlis to serve with this chana.
Recipe from Tarla Dalal.com:
- 1 cup Chana Black , soaked and boiled
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 1½ tbsps Besan (Chickpea flour)
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Chili powder
- ½ tsp Coriander Ground
- ½ tsp Cumin Ground
- 2 tsps Tamarind pulp
- 1 ~ 2 tbsps Jaggery
- To taste Salt
- 2 tbsps Cilantro , finely chopped
- Soak the black chana overnight or for at least 6~8 hours. Then cook them in lots of water until tender. I usually pressure cook for 3~4 whistles. Drain and keep ready.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds. Once the seeds start to splutter, add the chickpea flour and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly, until it turns brown.
- Add the kala chana, turmeric, chili powder, ground coriander and cumin, jaggery, tamarind paste, salt and 1~1½cups of water. Mix well and cook for 8~10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with cilantro and Serve hot with rotlis.