This month’s Home Baker’s Challenge is all about Red velvet. Our host Shazana wanted us to try our hand at baking various red velvet themed bakes like cake, cookies and cheesecake. I decided to try my hand at red velvet crinkle cookies. The recipe Shazana gave us was for oreo stuffed red velvet crinkle cookies, but I didn’t have any Oreos at home, so made without the stuffing.
I didn’t realize that I didn’t have enough red food coloring until after I started prepping and at that point it was too late to go and buy more coloring. So I went ahead and made the cookies, they are not as bright red as they should be, but the crinkle effect sure makes up for it.
These cookies are more cake-like than chewy which is exactly how I like my cookies. I made them to share with friends for Mother’s day picnic that we are having tomorrow. If you want to impress your mom and haven’t decided on what to make, then go ahead and bake these cookies for her, they take about 2~3 hours total time.
Recipe from Simply Gloria:
Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter - softened
- 1 cup Brown Sugar Light - , packed
- 1 1 Egg Eggs yolk large + s yolk
- 2¼ cups All purpose flour
- ¼ cup Cocoa Unsweetened powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar
- 1 cup Sugar Powdered (or as needed)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together buttermilk, red food coloring and vanilla extract.
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat until well combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl to evenly mix the ingredients.
- Next add the dry and wet ingredients alternately starting and ending with dry ingredients. Beat until just combined.
- Finally add the vinegar and mix it in evenly with the spatula. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment and keep the powdered sugar ready in a bowl.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out the dough and place it into the powdered sugar. Roll it evenly in the powdered sugar and place them on the baking sheet 2" apart.
- Bake for 9~11 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 4~5 minutes before taking them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.