BM# 71: Week 4/ Day 2
Theme: Christmas Meal
Dish: Christmas Drink — Red Velvet Hot Chocolate with Marshmallow Whipped Cream
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Everyone. Hope you have a fun Holiday season with your family and friends. Our weekend is packed with a lot of parties and get-togethers — can’t wait to see all my friends and family. Today I have a quintessential winter drink but this one is fancied up with some red color to make it Red Velvet Hot Chocolate. I thought why not put this along with some cookies for Santa on Christmas eve instead of regular milk this year. Poor Santa needs something special too 🙂 Recipe for this Red Velvet Hot Chocolate is from Bobby Flay’s cooking show ‘Brunch @ Bobby’s‘. That is one of my favorite cooking shows on Food Network. I love all the themed brunches Bobby Flay makes on that show, makes me want to host brunch parties all the time. I have a ton of brunch recipes bookmarked and I wish I could make them all soon.
Ever since the weather got cold, my kids have been asking for Hot Chocolate. So finally I made it for them. The original recipe for this Red Velvet Hot Chocolate is very thick — almost pudding like with the addition of a lot of chopped semisweet chocolate.So depending on how thick you want your drink, adjust the amount of chocolate to between ½~1.Red Velvet anything seems to be my latest craze (check out these cupcakes and cookies). Skip the red food coloring if you are not into artificial colors in your food. Top the hot chocolate with some marshmallow whipped cream. My kids loved this thick, very chocolaty and very delicious treat.
This goes for the December Week 4, Cooking from Cookbook Challenge Group.
Red Velvet Hot Chocolate with Marshmallow whipped cream
- 2 cups Milk (Whole, 1%, 2% or Almond milk)
- ½~1 cup Semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tbsp Good quality Cocoa powder (like Valrhona cocoa)
- 1~2 tbsp Sugar (optional)**
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tsp Red food color (optional)
- ½ cup Whipped Cream
- 3 tbsp Cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup marshmallow creme
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
Make the Marshmallow Whipped Cream:
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Stir the whipped cream into the cream cheese and mix gently until light.
- Stir in the marshmallow creme and vanilla extract. Set aside until ready to use.
Make Hot Chocolate:
- Bring the milk to a simmer in a saucepan. Stir in the chopped chocolate and cocoa powder. Whisk and cook until chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth, about for 1~2 minutes. Taste and add sugar if needed.
- Turn off the heat and add vanilla extract and red food coloring (optional).
- Serve hot with the marshmallow whipped cream on top.