Bake-a-thon 2016: Day 6
Bake of the Day: Ricotta Chive Bread
This week is all about yeast breads — check out the whole-grain bread and chocolate swirl babka. Today I have Ricotta Chive Bread that is very flavorful and makes a great toast with some butter or in a sandwich. I planted chives in my backyard garden this past summer and it grew really well with very little care. I was adding it to egg dishes and using it instead of scallions in dishes. As the weather started to get cold, I cleaned up the backyard but left the chives because they were still growing. After about a month, I noticed that the chives are still growing strong. I chopped most of it, chopped it and froze it to use it later. Then I started looking for recipes to use the chives and found this Ricotta Chive bread on King Arthur flour website. It sounded just perfect to use my chives.
I made this bread twice already. It has a beautiful crumb, thanks to the addition of ricotta cheese and very flavorful with the addition of chives. You can substitute chives with scallions or wild leeks.Have it toasted with some butter or with more ricotta cheese on top. It makes excellent grilled cheese sandwich and makes great base for sandwiches. I even ate it with a curry.
This is part of the Bake-a-thon 2016.
[inlinkz_linkup id=680533 mode=1]
Ricotta Chive Bread
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup Wholewheat flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2½ tsp Instant Yeast
- 1 cup Lukewarm Water
- 1/3 cup Ricotta cheese (whole or part-skim)
- ½~1 cup Chives, chopped
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of the stand mixer. Mix and knead until a soft and slightly sticky dough forms, about 6 minutes on a stand mixer and 8 minutes with hand.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and let rise for 45minutes to 1 hour or until the dough is doubled in volume.
- Lightly grease a 9"x5" loaf pan.
- Gently deflate the dough and form into a 9" long loaf. Place it in the pan, cover with a greased plastic wrap and let rise for 45 minutes or until the dough crests 1" over the rim of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the bread for 35~40 minutes or the top of the bread is golden and the internal temperature when a instant read thermometer is inserted in the center reads 190°F.
- Remove from the oven and from the pan. Cool on a wire rack before slicing.