BM# 71: Week 2/ Day 2
Theme: Seasonal Special Produce — Winter Squash
Dish: Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
For the second day for this week’s ‘Cooking with seasonal produce’, I have another winter squash recipe. This is a simple, but very tasty salad made with roasted butternut squash, baby greens and candied pecans. This recipe is from Minimalist Baker. The simplicity of the recipe and the addition of candied pecans really wanted me to try this recipe. The ingredient list is short and the hands on time is about 10 minutes. Peeling and chopping the squash is probably the most time consuming part of the whole recipe.Roasting the butternut squash makes it sweet and delicious. The candied pecans add to the sweetness and give a nice crunch factor to the dish. I always thought making candied pecans is a tedious process, but the original recipe by the Minimalist Baker was fool proof. It takes less than 5 minutes to make them and now I can’t stop myself from making and munching on them.All in all, this is a great salad that is perfect for this time of the year — quick to make on a weeknight or serve for guests in a party.
Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- 1 Butternut Squash, peeled and diced
- 4 cups Baby Greens like baby spinach, kale or arugula
- ¼ cup Dried Cranberries
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
For the Candied Pecans:
- ¼ cup Raw Pecans
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Roast the Butternut Squash:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the chopped butternut squash on a baking sheet, drizzle with 1~2tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well and bake for 20~30 minutes or until the the squash is just tender but not mushy.
Make Candied Pecans:
- Toast the pecans on a dry pan until fragrant. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat 1tbsp olive oil and brown sugar. Stir in the toasted pecans and mix well to coat evenly with sugar mixture. Cook for 1~2 minutes. Remove onto a plate in a single layer making sure that they don't clump up.
To Assemble the Salad:
- Once the butternut squash is roasted and ready, place them in a large bowl. Add the greens, candied pecans, dried cranberries, 1tbsp olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Toss and serve right away.