Spicy Roasted Potatoes with cheese sauce is a delicious kid friendly dish that is great to serve as a side dish to any Mexican meal.
For the last day of this week’s blogging marathon, I made a delicious kid friendly Roasted potatoes with cheese sauce. This is my version of Taco Bell’s cheesy fiesta potatoes. This was one of the recipes that I definitely wanted to make for this week’s potato recipes.My daughter is a very picky eater when we got out to eat. She doesn’t like anything that’s on kid’s menu, except for pizza, of course. I think the only dish she enjoys the most is Taco Bell’s cheesy fiesta potatoes. She could eat 2 of them and call it a meal. I have been planning to make this at home for quite some time and finally made it today.
The best part of these roasted potatoes is the crispy and golden edges. You can roast them at high temperature in the oven, but I found using a cast iron skillet helps in getting them crisp without turning on the oven. Also par cooking the potatoes before crisping them helps even more.
The cheese sauce is easy to make, all you need is good quality block of cheese. Leftover cheese sauce can be refrigerated and can be easily reheated in a saucepan. Do try this addictive potatoes and cheese combo and I am sure every potato-lover in your family will love you. Also try this Spicy Mexican Home Fries recipe.Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 93.
Roasted Potatoes with Cheese Sauce
For Roasted Potatoes:
- 3 Medium Potatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp Cumin powder
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- To taste Salt Pepper
For Cheese Sauce:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- To taste salt
- 1~1½ cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Roast the Potatoes:
- Par boil the potatoes until fork tender. I microwaved the potatoes until tender. Drain completely.
- Heat oil on medium-high flame in a 10" cast iron skillet. Add the potatoes along with chili powder, cumin powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Gently mix to evenly distribute the spices on the potatoes.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are golden brown and crisp all over, should take about 15~10 minutes.
Make Cheese Sauce:
- In a skillet, melt the butter and add the flour. Whisk continuously until the mixture is light brown. Stir in the milk and cook stirring until the mixture thickens. Season with cayenne pepper and salt.
- Take the skillet off the hat and stir in the grated cheese. Stir until the cheese melts and the sauce is creamy and smooth.
- Top the roasted potatoes with the cheese sauce and sour cream. Serve right away and Enjoy!!
- Leftover cheese sauce can be refrigerated and heated in a small saucepan until smooth. dd a bit if milk to help in melting, if needed.