Thanksgiving is less than a week away and I'm sure most of you must have started the preparations for the big day. In case you are still looking for a vegetarian/ vegan side dish, here's an absolutely delicious Roasted Sweet Potato Pecan salad with grapes, pomegranate and raisins. The best thing about this salad is that the sweet potatoes can be roasted up to 2 days in advance and can be assembled on the day of the party. So that makes it perfect for Thanksgiving since the oven will invariably be busy with other dishes that are served hot.This recipe is from the show 'The Kitchen' on Food Network. Ras-el-Hanout is a Middle Eastern spice blend that adds a lot of flavor to the roasted sweet potato. If you don't have it on hand, you can use a mix of ground coriander, cumin and cinnamon. Also original recipe had celery in it, but I omitted it.This is a very festive looking and delicious salad. Addition of juicy pomegranate seeds, green grapes and raisins gives the salad slight sweetness. Pecans add a nice crunch. All in all I totally loved it salad and could have eaten the whole bowl for a meal.
king this to Valli’s ‘Cooking from Cookbook Challenge: ‘November — Week 3′.
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad (Vegan Recipe)
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes, peeled and diced into 1" cubes
- 1 Large Onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ras el hanout You can substitute with a mix of ground coriander, cumin and cinnamon
- 1 tsp Rosemary, finely minced (or use ½tsp dried Rosemary)
- 1 cup Green Grapes, halved
- 1 cup Pecans, toasted
- ½ cup Pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup Scallions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Golden Raisins
- To taste Salt Pepper
- A splash Sherry or White wine Vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a baking sheet in the oven.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped sweet potatoes, onions, ras-el-hanout, olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper. Toss well and transfer the mixture onto the heated baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender and slightly caramelized. At this stage, you can let them cool completely and store in an airtight container in the fridge for couple of days.
- When you are ready to make the salad, let the sweet potato mixture sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the roasted sweet potatoes with chopped grapes, pomegranate seeds, scallions, raisins and a splash of vinegar and olive oil. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve at room temperature.