Buffet on Table: Breakfasts across Countries
Day 22: Russian – Blinis
I found a ton of recipes for these pancakes, some with just buckwheat flour, some with a combination of wholewheat and buckwheat flours. I followed this recipe that used both flours, but I replaced the all purpose flour with wholewheat pastry flour.
These pancakes are traditionally served with caviar or smoked salmon. You can also go with sweet toppings like cream cheese, jams or sour cream.
Recipe adapted from here:
Russian Blinis (Buckwheat Pancakes)
- ¾ cup Buckwheat flour
- ½ cup Wholewheat Pastry flour - (or use all purpose flour)
- 1 tsp Yeast Instant
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 cup Milk Warm
- 1 Egg - large (or 1tbsp egg replacer whisked with 3tbsp water)
- a pinch Salt
- Combine all the ingredients for the pancakes in a mixing bowl. Cover and set aside to rise for 1 hour.
- Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle on medium heat. Lightly grease the pan with cooking spray and put about 2~3tbsps of batter; cook till bubbles come up to the surface, about 1~2 minutes. Carefully flip and cook for about a minute.
- Keep the pancakes warm in a plate or an over while you make more pancakes with the remaining batter.
- Serve warm with jelly, cream cheese, sour cream etc.