I have tried a few Russian recipes in the past and for this month I was planning to try my hand at baking a Russian bread, but time just slipped out of my hand and I finally had to pick something relatively simple. That is when I landed on Natasha’s grated beet salad.
It is a quick chopped (or grated) salad that almost requires no cooking. The only component that is cooked is the grated potato that is fried until nice and crispy. I conveniently forgot to put it in the bowl, so you don’t see the potatoes in the photos. But that is one of my favorite part of this salad.
I made it for my lunch today and I was surprised how filling and delicious it turned out with minimum effort put into it.
Russian Grated Beet Salad
- ¼ Small head Red Cabbage of , thinly sliced
- 1 beet Small Red , grated
- 1 Carrot Medium , grated
- ½ cup Peas Frozen , thawed
- 1 Potato Medium , peeled and grated
- 1 onion Small , finely diced
- 2 ~ 3 tbsps Mayonnaise (use vegan mayo for vegan version)
- 1 clove Garlic , finely minced
- To taste Salt Pepper &
- In a small bowl, stir the minced garlic into mayonnaise and set aside.
- Heat 2~3tbsp olive oil in a pan and add the grated potatoes and cook them until golden brown and crispy. Make sure to do this in batches.
- In a serving bowl, place all the ingredients separately.
- Add the mayonnaise dressing just before serving and mix everything together along with salt & pepper. Serve right away!!