It has been a long time since I took part in Nicole’s Taste & Create event and decided to sign up when Min @ Bad Girl’s Kitchen asked for participants. For this month I got paired with Corina @ Searching for Spice.
Here’s Corina’s original recipe. I converted the weigh measures to cup measures.
Here’s how I made these:
Scallions & Cheese Scones
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- ½ cup Whole wheat flour
- 2¼ tsps Baking powder
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsps Butter Cold – cut into cubes
- ¾ cup Cheese – grated (I used jack cheese, but Corina's original recipe called for cheddar)
- 100 ml Milk
- 3 tbsps Scallions Green onions scallions / - from about 3
- 1 tsp Thyme Dried
- 1 tsp Red Chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Add the cold butter to flour and using a pastry cutter or your fingers, work the butter into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs. Slowly add milk and mix the ingredients until it forms dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a flour sprinkled surface and knead for 1 minute.
- Pat the dough into a rectangle that is about 1” thick. You can either cut out circles or other shapes, but I simply cut the dough into 8 equal rectangles.
- Transfer onto a greased baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until the scones are golden.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.