Update: My Computer is fixed.. I’ve updated the post with the pics.
I wanted to use my slow cooker that’s been collecting dust for quite sometime now. So I decided to make sambar in it and it came out pretty good, can’t complain for the minimum amount of work I had to put in.
Slow Cooker Sambar
- 1 cup Toor dal
- ¼ cup Moong dal
- 1 Onion – large, thinly sliced
- 1 pepper Green – small, thinly sliced
- 1 Yellow squash – medium, thinly sliced
- 2 - 3 3 tbsps Tomatoes Tamarind – medium, chopped (I used 1 small tomato chopped and 1/3 cup crushed tomato) paste
- 1 tsp chili powder Red
- to taste Salt
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 chilies Dry Red
- I combined dal and veggies along with 5-6 cups water, ½ tsp turmeric, sambar powder, chili powder and salt in the slow cooker. Cooked on Low for about 6 hours (or on High for 4hrs).
- So by the time we came home, dal & veggies were done, then I added tamarind extract and adjusted the seasonings. Cooked for another 30 minutes on High.
- When there was about 10 minutes left for cooking, I made the tadka in 2tbsp oil, added it to slow cooker and let it cook.