Healthy and delicious dry curry made with Bottle gourd and thelaga pindi (ground sesame seed peels). This is a great side dish to rice or roti.
Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. We are on our way to my cousin’s place in Delaware for the weekend, so this is going to be a short post today. I made a healthy and delicious dry curry made with Bottle gourd and thelaga pindi (ground sesame seed peels).
I had a small piece of sorakaya (bottle gourd) in the fridge that needed to be used up before we left for the weekend and I also had thelaga pindi (powder made from sesame pulp after squeezing the oil) in the fridge. Luckily I remembered watching a cooking show where the chef used both the ingredients in a curry and so that’s what I made. Thelaga pindi can be used just like sesame seed powder to sprinkle on curries.
Sorakaya Thelagapindi Kura (Bottlegourd Curry)
- 3 cups bottle gourd Sorakaya/ - peeled and diced
- 1 Tomato - medium, chopped
- 2 chilies Green - slit
- ½ tsp coriander Ground
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp chili powder Red (adjust as per taste)
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 red chili Dry
- 8 ~ 10 Curry leaves
- to taste Salt
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a saute pan; add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once the seeds start to splutter add dry red chili and curry leaves.
- Next add bottlegourd, green chilies and turmeric. Mix well, cover and cook until tender, about 8~10 minutes.
- Add tomato, ground coriander, red chili powder and salt. Cook covered till the tomatoes turn to mush. Finally stir in thelaga pindi, mix well and cook for another 3~4 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice or even rotis.