This is another one of those recipes I jotted down in my little trusty diary during my India trip. I couldn’t find soy flakes in India grocery here, so I bought 2 boxes from India. This recipe goes really well with rotis and chapathis.
Soy Flakes Masala Curry
- 1 cup Soy Flakes
- 1 Onion – small, chopped
- 2 Tomatoes – ripe, chopped
- 3 chilies Green
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic + paste
- 2 tbsps Coconut (dry or fresh)
- 2 tbsps Poppy seeds (Khus khus)
- ½ tsp chili powder Red
- to taste Salt
- Grind coconut and poppy seeds with water into a smooth paste.
- Soak soy flakes in 2-3 cups of hot water until ready to use.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan, sauté onions till lightly browned. Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Add green chilies, tomatoes, coconut paste, cook covered till the tomatoes are tender.
- Drain soy flakes, squeeze out the extra water and add to the tomato mixture along with red chili powder and salt. Sprinkle water if the gravy is too dry.