My son absolutely loves Carrots. He can eat carrot all day everyday (this is right now, I’m not sure how his taste is going to change tomorrow). So I’ve started adding carrots in everything, pasta sauce, dal, curries and yes even in rice dishes; much to the discontent of my DH, but the little one’s preferences come first.. right?????
This dish is a clean up the fridge kind of a recipe and it tasted pretty good the next day for lunch.
- 2 cups Basmati Rice – cooked
- 1 Onion – medium, chopped
- 2 ½ Carrots ” – medium, chopped into pieces
- 1 cup Spinach Frozen – thawed
- ½ lb Tomatoes (I used about 10 cherry tomatoes)
- 2 chilies Green – slit lengthwise
- 2 tsps masala Bisibele bath – (I used homemade )
- 3 tbsps peanuts Roasted
- to taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard Cumin seeds & – each
- 8 - 10 Curry leaves
- Cook rice and keep aside to cool.
- In a sauté pan, heat 2 tbsp oil and add tadka ingredients; once the seeds start to splutter add onions and green chilies. Sauté till onion turn translucent.
- Add carrots and roasted peanuts; cover and cook till carrots are tender.
- Now add the spinach, tomatoes, salt and the masala; cover and cook till tomatoes turn mushy.
- Check the seasonings and add the veggie mixture to rice. Mix well without mushing the rice. Mix some lemon juice if you like.
- Serve with papad and chips. Great for lunchboxes too.