BM# 74: Week 4/ Day 2
Theme: Kid’s Delight — Easter Treats
Dish: Spring Vegetable Pasta
Spring is ‘technically’ here as per the calendar but the weather seems to have it’s own mind. It has been very cold and dreary for the past few days, as if winter returned with a vengeance already. Thankfully the spring produce is already in the stores and that’s something that makes me very happy. Today I have a simple spring vegetable pasta that my kids love. Fresh Asparagus is one of my most favorite spring vegetable. They are so tender and crispy right now that I can eat them raw. One of the tips that I learnt from Rachael Ray is to trim the asparagus bottoms (just like you would with flowers), put them in a container with little bit of water, cover the tips with a ziploc bag and stick it in the fridge. Asparagus stored this way, keep well for almost a week.This spring vegetable pasta is loaded with veggies — asparagus, green peas and cherry tomatoes. This is a light dish with the veggies taking the center stage. Recipe is from Giada’s Everyday Italian cooking show.This is a quick dish that can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes. Original recipe used parmesan cheese, but I added some mozzarella balls just before serving. You can skip the cheese altogether to make a delicious vegan main course.Sending this to ‘Kid’s Delight — Easter treats’ event happening right here. Valli is the brain behind Kid’s Delight event.
Spring Vegetable Pasta
- 8 oz. Penne or other shortcut pasta
- 12~15 Fresh Asparagus, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 cups Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 cup Fresh Green Peas (or use frozen peas)
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ cup Low Sodium Vegetable Stock
- ½ cup Mozzarella cheese, diced
- 2 tbsp Fresh Basil or Parsley, chopped
- To taste Salt & Pepper
- Cook pasta as per package directions until al dente. Drain and reserve ½ cup of pasta cooking water.
- Heat 2tbsp olive oil in a large saute pan. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the asparagus and cook till slightly tender, about 3~4 minutes.
- Stir in the cherry tomatoes and peas. Cook for 2~3 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Cook till the tomatoes start to burst, about 3 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the cooked pasta and the reserved pasta cooking water, if needed. Sprinkle the chopped basil or parsley and add the cheese. Serve right away.